Dutch indie developer OrangePixel has announced that it’s set to launch “a dozen” games on Nintendo Switch, and it’s all kicking off next month with Meganoid.
OrangePixel is a one-man team that has been in the game development biz since 2004. Its pixel-art titles have launched across PC, mobile, PS Vita, and the 3DS in the past, but now it’s time for them to make the leap to Switch.
As mentioned above, the first game planned to release on Switch is Meganoid, a procedurally-generated platformer which takes place in a sci-fi setting. You can get a taste of the game in the trailer above, and we have a feature list for you to check out below.
– Levels randomly generated on every game session, based on a set of templates, making the levels unique but instilling a sense of familiarity at the same time.
– Roguelike elements; Consumables, alternate routes, procedural generation, and many devices and gadgets add depth to the challenging gameplay.
– RPG elements; A lot of collectible items that will change the main character’s abilities to navigate the world. Find a jetpack to start flying around, find anti-gravity-boots to perform double jumps, and much more.
– Alternate paths to take. Find hidden bonus area’s to unlock, often providing you with a short-cut or very rare and powerful items to enhance your character.
– A hackable game world. Finding green key-cards allows you to modify how certain elements of the game act and respond to you. Stop rocket-launchers from working, make rockets fly less far, make destroyed robots drop extra lives.
– Unlock the build-in database with info on all the items and enemies you encounter to be better prepared on your next try.
Meganoid launches on Switch on 8th September and will be priced at £8.99.
As for the other games headed our way? Well, Orangepixel hasn’t shared all the details just yet, but has teased that we could see games from the Gunslugs, Heroes of Loot and Space Grunts series.
Do you like the look of Meganoid? Have you already tried it on other platforms? Let us know in the comments below.